Pilotage is compulsory for all vessels navigating within the Pilotage District except:
- HM ships and foreign warships.
- General Lighthouse Authority tenders
- Vessels under 60m in length overall, without a working bow thruster
- Vessels under 75m in length overall, with a working bow thruster
- Fishing vessels less than 60 metres
The exemptions will not apply to:
Ships with a Passenger Certificate;
Ships carrying hazardous cargoes in bulk;
Ships in ballast which are not gas free;
Ships not fitted with a working radar installation when due to fog, mist, falling snow or heavy rainstorm, or any other similar causes, visibility is less than 1000m.
Ships or their tow, if any, having any one of the following defects:
- are unseaworthy in any respect, or
- have defects to main engine, steering gear or auxiliary machinery which may affect the manoeuvring of the ship, or
- have inoperable capstan, windlass, mooring winches or anchors that are not cleared or ready for use, or
- have a list of over 5 degrees, or are excessively out of trim, or
- have any hull or machinery damage which may affect the safety of the ship or the containment or safety of the cargo or bunkers.
At Larne Port we operate a zero tolerance policy to substandard Pilot Ladders and Pilot boarding arrangements.